Understanding Violence

Help For Friends And Whanau

What if My Friend or Family Member is Being Abused?

  1. phone a local family violence service agency for advice
  2. let victims know where they can get help and support
  3. listen
  4. let her/him know the violence is not their fault
  5. keep in touch – domestic violence thrives in secrecy and many victims are isolated from their support networks such as family members
  6. phone 111 if someone you know is in immediate danger.

Te Kupenga Whakaoti Mahi Patunga/The National Network of Stopping Violence Services can put you in touch with an agency in your area which can provide advice or a support person for the person you are concerned about.

Top of page